WILL POWER TO YOUTH SUMMER 2017 SESSION
STARTS JUNE 19th
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW AVAILABLE!
for information contact MARINA@shakespearecenter.org
YOUTH DEVELOPMENT, EMPLOYMENT, and EMPOWERMENT
Will Power to Youth is an award-winning one of a kind youth development, employment and empowerment program that hires young people ages 15-21 living at the poverty threshold from the Los Angeles area. Youth are hired full time for 7 weeks to produce and perform an adaptation of a Shakespeare play that incorporates their thoughts and feelings into Shakespeare’s text. Participants build literacy skills, educational resiliency, inter-personal communication skills, and become much more work ready as their awareness of workplace etiquette grows while earning wages for their creative contributions to a youth-driven theatrical production.(Click here for Will Power to Youth Impact Report)
Program Awards and Recognitions
- Performances at the U.S. Capitol
- White House Coming Up Taller Award
- Selected as a case study for Harvard Project Zero report The Quality of Qualities: Understanding Excellence in Arts Education, Commissioned by the Wallace Foundation (Click here for full report)
- Selected as one of the “top 50 programs in USA” by the Ash Institute at the Kennedy School ofGovernment, Harvard University.
- Keynote presenter for the White House launch of “Helping America’s Youth” at Howard University
- Keynote presentation at the annual convention for the 150 International Member Association for
- Supervision and Curriculum Development an international educator membership organization, with more than 150,000 members.
- Presentation at the US Capital for US Senators and members of US House of Representatives
- Catalyst for Inter- Agency agreement between U.S. Department of Justice and National Endowment for the Arts
- Recognized by Los Angeles Board of Supervisors, the Mayor of the City of Los Angeles and Los Angeles City Council, Los Angeles Drama Critics, California Educational Theater Association, Actors Equity Association